Many people confuse spirituality with being religious, but the two are different. Anyone can be spiritual, despite their religious preferences. At Awakenings Treatment Center, a treatment center in Agoura Hills, we encourage all clients to be more connected to the universe. By inviting more spirituality into your life, you can make your recovery more rewarding and meaningful.
What is Spirituality?
So, what does it mean to be spiritual? Though it signifies something different for everyone, we can describe spirituality as connecting to something bigger than ourselves. What is the meaning of life? What is your purpose? How does your purpose fit into the larger picture? Some people find that to be spiritual, they need to be linked to a church, temple, synagogue or mosque. Others pray and find comfort in God or a higher power. And, others discover that music and art therapies draw them closer to their purpose
. There is no “right” way to be spiritual. In the end, it comes down to connecting yourself to the universe so that you have meaning and direction. To assess your current spirituality level
, ask yourself these questions:
- Am I a good person?
- What is the meaning of my suffering?
- What connection do I have to the rest of the universe?
- Do things happen for a reason?
- How can I live my life to the fullest?
How Recovering Addicts Can be More Spiritual
After using drugs and alcohol for so long, it’s easy to lose touch with who you are and what you have to offer this world. After completing drug rehab in Agoura Hills, recovering addicts often look for direction as they re-enter society. Being more spiritual can help this transition. Here are some of the best ways to invite spirituality into your life.
- Meditation is an important tool in early recovery. You need this time to disconnect from stressful environments, achieve greater clarity and better understand your body’s responses.
- Practice gratitude. Practice gratitude each day by writing in a journal or saying a prayer for everything that you are grateful for. This encourages positive thinking and gets your day started out right.
- Spend time in nature. Whether it's the sun shining on your skin, the sounds of animals in the distance or the sights of towering trees, nature nourishes the soul. It also reinforces the concept that you are part of something bigger.
- Mindful breathing. When you're feeling stressed or anxious, practice mindful breathing. This helps you be less impulsive when dealing with stressful situations. The best part is, you can use mindful breathing anywhere - at work, in the elevator or when grocery shopping.
Are you in need of holistic addiction treatment in Agoura that addresses your emotional, physical and spiritual needs? Contact Awakenings Treatment Center today at 855-717-3268
to learn about our treatment options.