At Awakenings Treatment Center, we know that a simple wag of the tail can be enough to put a smile on someone’s face. That is why we are proud to be a pet friendly drug rehab in Agoura Hills
. We find that many people have an easier time committing to treatment and staying in treatment if they have the unconditional love and support from pets. As one of the few pet friendly rehabs in Agoura Hills, we’d like to share more about why pets are an invaluable asset to the recovery process.
Benefits of a Pet Therapy Program
The benefits of pet therapy have been long documented. Studies continue to show the positive effects of the human-animal relationship, prompting more therapeutic programs to involve pets in their day-to-day routines. Here are some of the most well-known benefits of a pet therapy program
- Decrease loneliness and isolation
- Improve outlook on life
- Reduce anxiety and depression
- Promote daily activity
- Establish nurturing and empathic skills
- Improve social interactions
- Foster accountability and responsibility
- Increase self-esteem
How Pets Support a Healthy Recovery
For individuals seeking dual diagnosis treatment in Agoura, having animals around can support the healing process. After all, recovering addicts need as much support and understanding as possible, and who better to deliver this than an animal companion. Below are the unique ways that dogs, cats and other animals support a well-rounded recovery.
- Provide unconditional love. Recovering addicts need love. Pets are always there to deliver this love, and they do so without judgement or attached strings. No matter what a person has done in their lifetime, pets are still there to welcome them home and love on them.
- Create a greater sense of self. Recovery is a time of self-discovery. People are often unsure of who they are, but a pet can help them recognize and express their emotions. Through the human-animal relationship, people learn about who they are and their greater purpose in life.
- Build relationships with others. Building new relationships after addiction can be difficult. It’s usually easier to form a bond with a pet because they accept everyone without judgement. Pets also give the opportunity to meet others at dog parks, pet classes and more.
- Get regular exercise. Pet owners are generally more active than non-pet owners. This is a great thing, considering that regular exercise benefits the recovery process. Daily exercise controls weight, staves all health problems, improves mood, boosts energy and promotes sleep.
- Prevent boredom. While you don’t want to overfill your calendar, it’s important to keep busy in early recovery. Boredom is a risk for relapse. Having a pet fosters responsibility, as owners are responsible for feeding, cleaning and playing with their pet.
Pets are an invaluable asset to the recovery process. Of course, it depends on your individual addiction treatment in Agoura, but we find that many clients benefit from having pets in their lives. If you’re not ready to own a pet of your own, spend time with your friends’ pets or donate time at an animal shelter. To learn more about the programs at Awakenings Treatment Center, contact us today at 855-717-3268
. Your call is free and confidential.