During your time in addiction treatment, you’ll get used to waking up on time, eating your meals, and participating in individual and group therapy. But as you transition home, you might find it more difficult to remain disciplined and dedicated to your recovery. This is when having a daily routine in recovery can be extremely helpful!
People in recovery thrive when they have a healthy and predictable schedule to follow each day. They can create a routine that prevents boredom, offers a sense of accountability, and reduces self-destructive behaviors. Below are the benefits of having a dependable routine to follow and tips for creating one for yourself.
Benefits of Having a Routine in Recovery
Routine provides a sense of direction and rhythm to your days. Your body and brain adapt to this schedule and adjust accordingly. This is why your body likes waking up, going to sleep, and eating at the same times each day. When you fall outside your normal routine, it’s easier for your brain and body to get overwhelmed. Not having a routine can also cause you to feel bored or restless, two emotions that can trigger the need to use drugs or alcohol.
Here are some benefits to having a routine in addiction recovery:
- Develop a sense of purpose
- Learn time management skills
- Manage stress more effectively
- Prevent boredom
- Reduce your risk for relapse
- Find new hobbies and interests
How to Create a Dependable Schedule
There are several things you can do to get yourself into a healthy routine. This includes eating a healthy diet, getting enough rest, exercising most days of the week, and attending your therapy and self-help groups. Drug rehab in Agoura Hills will help get you used to follow a predictable routine by providing you with a structured setting.
The things you’ll want to include in your routine are:
- Eating habits. Decide when you’ll eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Keep your nutrition in mind. The foods you eat to fuel your mind and body, so what you eat makes a difference in how you feel.
- Sleeping habits. Your mind and body need restorative sleep to continue healing from the addiction. Sleeping the right amount also prevents depression, boredom, and other mental health concerns. Be sure to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day.
- Exercise. Find time to be physically active each day. Exercise isn’t just good for your physical body, it also improves the mood, combats symptoms of mental illness, and manages stress levels.
- Social activities. It’s important to stay connected to your support circle. Schedule time to be with sober friends. You need to surround yourself with people who support your recovery and can offer empathy and advice.
- Self-care. Make time to practice self-care. You don’t want to tire yourself out. It’s important to enrich your spirit, nourish your mental and physical health, and feel refreshed.
- Recovery meetings. Even after treatment, you should still participate in 12-step groups, therapy sessions, etc. These meetings encourage you to continue learning about your addiction, your triggers and how to prevent relapse.
Start Your Journey to Healing at Awakenings
Awakenings Treatment Center offers outpatient treatment services in Agoura Hills, CA. We help our clients build healthy routines that they can follow when they transition into their everyday lives. We also provide our clients with as many resources as possible so that they can manage their stress levels and ways to deal with triggers. Contact us today to learn more about our treatment options.